Thursday, January 12, 2012

End of Day Eight

So... a new direction. Again.
While I was in the shower this morning, I was thinking about Jono's simplification idea, and I thought that I could just set up little stations in my garage. I don't need movement as such. The SOUND can create the movement. And the LIGHT can create the action. And the PROPS can tell the story/evoke emotion.

I've been thinking way too linear-ly. The narrative doesn't matter. You can tell a story in a non-linear way.

The props are key now I think. The light will still be all firelight. There is something about the nature of it that is extremely evocative and I want to know more about that.
But the props are telling the story. And not in a linear way. They can tell a whole story just with one object. Well... hopefully.

At least, even if I have to discard all my theories about precision and filmic tension I can maybe discover how to create movement with sound, action with light, and story with objects.

I feel disappointed that I can't look at the things I wanted to. I think I was unrealistic and didn't understand how this project would work. Well, that was very clear. But I did think it would go in a different direction than it has.

And I can't help the setbacks I've had, but I really don't want to make excuses for my errors. I was unclear. That's why I'm in this mess. I'm trying to employ what I've learnt to get me out of this mess.

And what HAVE I learnt? I've learnt how to learn, as cheesy as that may sound. I can analyse my process and clarify my thinking in ways I could not do before.

And if that is the only result of this project, then maybe that's okay.

I was feeling blue today that my final project was going to be something I'm not very proud of; but maybe realising that I can learn and change and develop MYSELF, without a teacher to tell me what I'm doing wrong, is an extremely good lesson to be ending on.

I might still be a crap deviser, but at least I know why.

And I took this picture. That makes me officially awesome.



No comments:

Post a Comment